Donald Trump cancels February visit to UK over 'bad' embassy deal

President Donald Trump has put Pakistan on notice for providing safe havens to the Taliban and other militant groups. Photograph:( Zee News Network )

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Jan 12, 2018, 07.48 AM (IST)

United States president has officially cancelled his trip to the UK to inaugurate the new American embassy due to a "bad deal" by the Obama Administration in the past. 

Trump said that he was disappointed with the "Obama administration having sold" the US embassy in the British capital.

Trump took to Twitter to clear the speculation as to why he won't be visiting London, saying: "Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for “peanuts,” only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!"

×

A $1bn (£740m) new US embassy, commissioned by predecessor Barrack Obama, was described as a “bad deal” by Trump.

However, the embassy website showed that the decision to move the location was taken months before Barack Obama took office in January 2009.

The United States had announced plans to move from its current embassy building in Mayfair in 2008 and said that the new building will open on January 16, all due to security reasons. 

Speculations had been raised that Trump cancelled his trip amid concerns over mass protests. Ed Miliband suggested on Twitter the planned protests also dissuaded the president from coming. 

×

The new embassy on the South Bank is a veritable fortress set back at least 100 feet (30 meters) from surrounding buildings - mostly newly-erected high-rise residential blocks - and incorporating living quarters for the U.S. Marines permanently stationed inside.

The $1 billion construction, overlooking the River Thames, was wholly funded by the sale of other properties in London.