Skip to main content

Trump 'backing away' from complete Muslim ban, says Pence

The Democrats have even resorted to calling Trump a bigot for his racist and xenophic polices. Photograph: (Getty)

Washington, United States Oct 07, 2016, 03.37 AM (IST)

The US vice presidential running mate Mike Pence on Thursday said Donald Trump has backtracked on his call for a complete ban on Muslims entering the United States.

The Republican presidential candidate had last December called for a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the US” in the wake of gruesome Islamic-state inspired mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, that killed 14 people and injured 22. 

Pence had earlier supported Trump's call to suspend immigration from “countries that have been compromised by terrorism”. 

However, on being asked whether the statement meant a blanket ban on Muslims, he responded with an “of course not”. 

The proposed ban has drawn a severe backlash from critics who have called the ban a violation of the US Constitution's gaurantee of religious freedom, with the Democrats resorting to calling him a bigot for his racist and xenophobic policies. 
 

No love for Russia?

Trump on Thursday said he is unsure how his relationship with Russia's Putin will pan out if he becomes the President of the United States. 

“I don’t love (Putin), I don’t hate. We’ll see how it works. We’ll see,” Trump told supporters during a campaign stop in Nevada, a day after Pence called the Russian leader a “small and a bullying leader”. 

“Maybe we’ll have a good relationship. Maybe we’ll have a horrible relationship. Maybe we’ll have a relationship right in the middle.” 

In a vice presidential debate between Mike Pence and Tim Kaine, Pence had denounced Russia for supporting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and for interfering in Syria's five-year-long civil war. 

(WION with inputs from Reuters)
 

Show Comments
  • delete