The suspect has only been officially identified as a 39-year-old man from Uzbekistan, but both Expressen and its rival Aftonbladet have named the name as Rakhmat Akilov, a construction worker and father-of-four. Photograph: (AFP)
He reportedly told investigators he was 'pleased with what he had done' and had 'accomplished what he set out to do', Expressen reported
The suspected driver of the stolen truck that mowed down pedestrians in central Stockholm last week, killing four people, has allegedly confessed to the attack, daily Expressen reported on Sunday.
He reportedly told investigators he was "pleased with what he had done" and had "accomplished what he set out to do", the paper said.
The suspect has only been officially identified as a 39-year-old man from Uzbekistan, but both Expressen and its rival Aftonbladet have named the name as Rakhmat Akilov, a construction worker and father-of-four.
Police have described the suspect as an Islamic State group sympathiser who had gone underground in Sweden after his residency permit application was rejected last year.
Expressen did not specify whether the man had claimed to have committed the attack on behalf of IS.
According to Expressen, the suspect had scouted the scene of the attack prior to carrying it out.
A woman and an 11-year-old girl from Sweden were killed in the attack, as well as a 41-year-old Briton who worked for Spotify and a Belgian woman. Fifteen people were injured, including two who were in critical condition.
Other sources quoted by Expressen on Saturday said the man had already confessed to police at the time of his arrest in a northern Stockholm suburb on Friday, saying "I'm the one who did it".