Rescue operations underway as another earthquake hits western China
A crack is seen on a road after an earthquake in Jiuzhaigou county, Ngawa prefecture, Sichuan province Photograph: (Reuters)
China evacuated nearly 60,000 people after a 6.5 magnitude earthquake struck a remote, mountainous part of China's southwestern province of Sichuan killing at least 19 people on Wednesday.
A second earthquake rocked western China on Wednesday, this time registering a magnitude 6.6. in a remote area of Xinjiang, Reuters reported.
The People's Daily said 32 people had been injured in the mostly rural area. The quake's epicentre was in Jinghe, about 100 km from the border with Kazakhstan, where about 140,000 people live, according to Xinhua.
Meanwhile, the provincial government told AFP that most of the tourists including locals were evacuated even as aftershocks continued to disrupt Sichuan province.
Several buildings were damaged in the quake's epicentre in Aba prefecture with China's state-run news agency Xinhua adding more than 30,000 people were evacuated from Jiuzhaigou alone.
President Xi Jinping has called for "all-out efforts" as China pressed the Army and relief workers to rescue people stuck in the quake. China's official earthquake monitoring agency said more than 1,000 aftershocks had been reported, the most powerful reaching 4.8 magnitude on the Richter Scale.
The quake injured at least 263 people with several still missing. Relief agencies - the Red Cross Society of China and Save the Children - have been mobilising teams to rescue people with several highways and roads still blocked along the disaster-hit region.