Qatar's response to demands 'negative', boycott to continue: Saudi and allies
On June 5, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt suspended diplomatic relations and cut off land, sea and air travel to Qatar, accusing it of supporting terrorism and destabilising the Gulf region. Photograph: (AFP)
Four Arab states that have cut ties with Qatar said on Wednesday their diplomatic and economic boycott of the emirate would remain, adding that Qatar responded “negatively” to their list of demands.
The foreign ministers of Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, meeting in Cairo, "regret the negative response from Qatar," they said in a statement.
Egyptian foreign minister Sameh Shoukry said Qatar's response to the bloc's conditions had "no substance" and "reflects a lack of understanding of the gravity of the situation".
Earlier on Wednesday, Qatar had called for "dialogue" to resolve the Gulf diplomatic crisis.
"Qatar continues to call for dialogue," Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani told the Chatham House think tank in London, as the Arab states held talks in Egypt to discuss their next move.
"We welcome any serious efforts to resolve our differences with our neighbours," he said, adding: "We don't accept intervention in our own affairs".
On June 22, the Saudi-led bloc presented a list of 13 demands and gave Doha 10 days to comply.
They extended the deadline by 48 hours on Monday.
The demands include the shutting down of Al Jazeera news network, reducing diplomatic ties to Iran, ending support for the Muslim Brotherhood and shutting down a Turkish military base in the emirate, among others.
On June 5, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt suspended diplomatic relations and cut off land, sea and air travel to Qatar, accusing it of supporting terrorism and destabilising the Gulf region.
Doha has strongly denied the claims.
(With AFP inputs)