Skip to main content

North Korea says it will develop Guam strike plan by 'mid-August'

A view shows a Pyongyang city mass rally held at Kim Il Sung Square on August 9, 2017, to fully support the statement of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) government. Photograph: (Reuters)

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Aug 10, 2017, 02.09 AM (IST)

North Korea on Thursday said it will be ready by mid-August to fire four missiles near the US territory of Guam after Trump's warning to Pyongyang that any additional threats will be met with "fire and fury".

Hwasong-12 rockets would pass over Japan and land in the sea about 30km (17 miles) from Guam, if the plan was approved by Kim Jong-un, the official KCNA news agency said.

"They will fly 3,356.7km for 1,065 seconds and hit the waters 30-40km away from Guam," KCNA quoted army chief General Kim Rak Gyom as saying.

Also read: Japan could legally intercept a Guam-bound North Korea missile, says report

Guam is home to about 163,000 people and a US military base that includes a submarine squadron, an air base and a Coast Guard group.

It also said Donald Trump's "fire and fury" comments earlier this week are a "load of nonsense", saying only "absolute force can work on him".

"Sound dialogue is not possible with such a guy bereft of reason and only absolute force can work on him," Kim Rak Gyom said.

North Korea earlier this week said it is considering missile strikes on the US Pacific territory of Guam, just hours after Trump’s "fire and fury" comment.

 


 

Show Comments
  • delete