Skip to main content

New Calais 'Jungle' arrivals cannot use resettlement scheme, says prefect

Earlier in the day, a group of about 100 migrants, mainly young people, were seen filing past a group of riot gear-clad police who have been overseeing the camp clearance since Monday. Photograph: (Reuters)

Reuters Calais, France Oct 27, 2016, 09.58 AM (IST)

Migrants arriving at France's Calais "Jungle" since the camp's demolition began cannot expect to be resettled by the local authorities, the government prefect in the region said on Thursday.

A resettlement centre that has been sending camp inhabitants on to other centres across France as part of the shutdown process was now closed, Prefect Fabienne Buccio told reporters at the site.

"It is not Calais' role to receive all the migrants of Europe. We do not want to create a vacuum. We have asked (those newly arrived) migrants to disperse."

Earlier in the day, a group of about 100 migrants, mainly young people, were seen filing past a group of riot gear-clad police who have been overseeing the camp clearance since Monday.

Buccio, who told reporters on Wednesday that the site was empty and that the resettlement of more than 5,000 people was complete, said it would be cleared of remaining shelters and debris by Monday of next week.

(Reuters)

Show Comments
  • delete