Missiles fired at US warships in Red Sea, no casualties: US
The USS Mason destroyer (in photo)the USS Nitze and USS Ponce were targeted with surface-to-surface missiles.The Houthis have denied the attack. Photograph: (AFP)
Amid rising tensions with Yemen's Houthi rebels, multiple missiles were fired on Saturday at three US warships in the Red Sea, though none was hit and there were no casualties, the US military was quoted as saying by international agency AFP.
It was unclear how many of the surface-to-surface missiles were fired at the USS Mason, USS Nitze and USS Ponce, a US defence official said adding that the altercation took place starting around 1930 GMT.
"We are aware of the reports and we are assessing the situation. All of our ships and crews are safe and unharmed," another US defence official said in an apparently cautious reaction.
According to AFP, once confirmed, the attempted missile strikes would be the most serious escalation yet of America's involvement in a deadly civil war that has killed more than 6,800 people, wounded more than 35,000 and displaced at least three million since a Saudi-led coalition launched military operations last year.
Pertinently, the rockets fired at the USS Mason on Sunday and again Wednesday were believed to be the first time since 1987 that a US warship has been targeted by an incoming missile.
(WION with inputs from AFP)