Manchester attack probe: Another suspect arrested at Heathrow airport
British forensic experts say they have uncovered significant evidence in the Manchester attack probe Photograph: (Reuters)
A man has been arrested at Heathrow airport as part of the investigation into last month's deadly suicide bombing in Manchester, British police said on Wednesday.
"The 38-year-old was arrested on suspicion of offences contrary to the Terrorism Act and remains in custody. The arrest was planned beforehand and there was no direct threat to the airport," Greater Manchester Police said in a statement.
A total of 19 people have been arrested in Britain as part of the terror probe, 12 of whom have been released without charge.
Police did not immediately confirm when the suspect was detained at Europe's busiest airport, or whether he landed at the airport as part of an extradition procedure.
Meanwhile, forensic examination of a car seized in connection with a suicide bombing in Manchester last month has uncovered significant evidence, British police told Reuters.
Police, investigating the movements of Salman Abedi before he killed 22 people at a concert hall, tweeted a picture of the white Nissan Micra along with a red and black holdall bag with a "San Francisco 49ers" logo on the side.
"Abedi made repeated trips to and from this car between 18 and 22 May 2017 and we believe he was taking items from the car to help assemble the device," Greater Manchester Police said in a statement, appealing for members of the public to come forward with any information they have about the bag or car.
Abedi's father and brother are also in detention in Libya, where authorities say the two brothers were both part of the Islamic State group which claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.
The arrest of the man at Heathrow comes more than two weeks after the May 22 attack on Manchester Arena at a concert by US pop star Ariana Grande. The bombing carried out by Salman Abedi killed 22 people, including children, and wounded more than 100 others.
Grande returned to the British city on Sunday evening for a benefit concert for the victims, joined by fellow music stars including Katy Perry and Justin Bieber.
Police in Manchester are still trying to piece together the bomber's final movements and on Tuesday released photos of a bag within which forensics had "uncovered significant evidence".
They also published images of a white car which investigators believe Abedi took items from to build the bomb.
"Although it is positive that we are making significant progress, we still need you to help us build a picture of exactly what led to this atrocity," police said, appealing for anyone who recognised the car or bag to come forward.
The city's police force had previously published CCTV images of Abedi and a blue suitcase he used, in a bid to jog the public's memory of any sightings of the attacker.
The Manchester bombing was Britain's deadliest terror attack in more than a decade. It prompted the government to raise the country's terror threat level to critical, meaning an attack was expected imminently, but scaled back to severe within a week.
Zaghba was not a person of interest to police or British intelligence agency MI5. Detectives believe he is an Italian national of Moroccan descent (WION)