Skip to main content

IS-claimed suicide bombing kills at least 71 in Yemen's Aden

There was no verification if all those killed were recruits. In photo: Yemenis inspect the site of a suicide car bombing claimed by the Islamic State group on August 29, 2016. Photograph: (Getty)

WION Aden, Yemen Aug 29, 2016, 12.13 PM (IST)
At least 71 people were killed in a suicide car bombing at an army recruitment centre in the Yemeni port city of Aden today. The Islamic State group claimed the attack in a statement carried by Amaq news agency

The suicide bomber drove the explosive-laden car into the locked militia compound of army recruits when the gate was opened for a delivery vehicle, the security officials told AFP news agency.

Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) hospital in Aden earlier reported to have received 45 dead and at least 60 wounded, MSF international said on Twitter.
 

Yemen`s army, supported by a Saudi-led coalition, is training young recruits to join its nationwide war against Shiite Huthi rebels and their allies, as well as Sunni jihadists, the AFP report underlined.

Aden is the temporary base of Yemen's internationally recognised government, which was forced into exile after Iran-backed insurgents seized Sanaa and other parts of the war-torn country, the report further said.

Witnesses said some recruits were buried when a roof collapsed over them following the blast, which also damaged buildings close to the centre.

There was no verification if all those killed were recruits.

The director general of Yemen's health ministry in Aden, al-Khader Laswar said at least 67 other people were wounded in the attack in the city's Mansoura district, Reuters reported.
More than 6,600 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in Yemen since March 2015 and more than 80 per cent of the population has been left in need of humanitarian aid, according to the United Nations.


There have been a number of bombings and shooting targeting officals and security forces in Aden. Jihadists from either Al-Qaeda or IS have often claimed attacks in the port city.

Over the past two months, hundreds of soldiers have been trained by Yemeni authorities as part of operations of retake the neighbouring south provinces. Their war against jihadists has also been supported by the Arab coalition through troops and air cover. The coalition helped government troops in March last year in pushing the rebels out of Aden and four other southern provinces.

More than 6,600 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in Yemen since March 2015 and more than 80 per cent of the population has been left in need of humanitarian aid, according to the United Nations.

(WION with inputs from agencies)
Show Comments
  • delete