International Organisation for Migration report: More than 3,000 migrants lost in Mediterranean in 2016

An IOM statement said the fatality rate in 2016 was "significantly higher" than in the same period last year. Photograph:( Getty )

Reuters Geneva, Switzerland Jul 26, 2016, 11.18 AM (IST)
Nearly 3,000 migrants and refugees have perished in the Mediterranean Sea already this year while almost 250,000 have reached Europe, the International Organization for Migration said on Friday.

The estimated death toll could put 2016 on track to be the deadliest year of the migration crisis. Last year the same landmark was only reached in October, by which time nearly one million people had crossed into Europe.

"This is the earliest that we have seen the 3,000 (deaths) mark, this occurred in September of 2014 and October of 2015," IOM spokesman Joel Millman told a briefing. "So for this to be happening even before the end of July is quite alarming."

"The latest discovery of 39 bodies washed up on Libyan shores this week bring the number of casualties to over 3,034 among the migrants and refugees who attempted to cross the Mediterranean to reach Europe in 2016," the IOM said.

Three out of four victims this year died while trying to reach Italy from North Africa, mostly Libya, a longer and more dangerous route.

The others drowned between Turkey and Greece before that flow dried up with the March deal on migrants between Turkey and the European Union.

Nearly 2,500 fatalities have occurred since late March, with about 20 migrants dying each day along the route from Libya to Italy, Millman said. Most are from West Africa and the Horn of Africa, although they may include people from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Morocco.

"The (Libyan) coast guard has had some luck turning back voyages from Libya. We've heard in the last six weeks a number of cases where they have been able to turn boats back.

"They (have also been) recovering bodies at an alarming rate," Millman said.

Some 84,052 migrants and refugees have arrived in Italy so far this year, almost exactly the same number as in the same period a year before, he said.

That indicated departures from Libya were at "maximum capacity" due to a limited number of boats deemed seaworthy.

One reason for the higher death toll this year is that there have been a series of shipwrecks involving larger vessels carrying several hundred people rather than the more typical dinghies that carry a maximum of 100 migrants. 

Migrants in Libya are often held in detention centres, some run by criminal gangs and militias, he said. IOM officials seek access to detainees and authorisation for their repatriation.

"There's no question that in some of this range of detention (centres) there are people in league with smugglers who are moving people towards the smugglers," Millman said.

Syrians fleeing the country`s brutal civil war again made up the largest group to have risked their lives to make the dangerous sea crossing.

Afghans were next on the list, followed by Iraqis. 

(Reuters, AFP)
 
  • delete