A police line is seen near the site where a Syrian asylum-seeker killed a woman and injured two people with a machete. Photograph: (Getty)
According to the police, the man was acting alone and it was not a terrorist attack. The man had been involved in violent incidents before
A 21-year-old Syrian refugee was arrested after killing a woman with a machete and injuring two other people in the southern German city of Reutlingen on Sunday, but the attack had no apparent connection to terrorism, police said.
Police spokesman Cristian Woerner said Reutlingen police received emergency calls at about 4:30pm (1630GMT) reporting an argument between a man and a woman near the central bus station.
"These were followed by further emergency calls saying that the man had severely injured or killed the woman with a machete. Officers in police cars were immediately deployed and the perpetrator was arrested seven minutes later, shortly after 16:30," Woerner said.
The asylum-seeking Syrian man had been involved in previous incidents causing injuries to other people, and was apparently acting alone, police said. They gave no immediate information on when the man arrived in Germany, or when the previous incidents took place.
"Given the current evidence, there is no indication that this was a terrorist attack," police said in a statement.
The mass-circulation newspaper Bild said the woman who was killed was pregnant. It was the fourth act of violence against civilians in western Europe, and the third in southern Germany in 10 days. Two of the attacks were claimed by Islamic State militants.