Bogota mall blast: Three women killed, nine injured
View of a shopping center following an explosion inside the building which -according to authorities- left one dead and eleven injured, in Bogota, Colombia, on June 17, 2017. Photograph: (AFP)
Three women were killed and nine wounded after an explosion at an upscale Bogota mall.
The explosive device went off in a restroom.
President Juan Manuel Santos denounced the attack and promised to bring those responsible to justice.
"We won't let terrorism frighten us," Santos said from inside the shopping centre.
"Bogotanos should feel safe and protected. We won't let our guard down but we mustn't panic. That's what terrorists want."
A 23-year-old Frenchwoman, who had been volunteering in the city, was among the three women killed.
Witnesses said they were evacuated from movie theatres and stores after an explosion in a second-floor bathroom, as ambulances and firetrucks hurried to the scene, the Associated Press reported.
"This cowardly terrorist attack at the Centro Andino mall is deeply distressing," Mayor Enrique Penalosa said, without giving details on the blast or who may have been behind it.
The mall, in an upscale area of the Colombian capital that is popular with foreign nationals, had been packed with shoppers before Father's Day.
(With inputs from Agencies)