A handout picture taken on August 20, 2016 by the Italian Red Cross shows a migrant aboard a rescue boat run by the Malta-based NGO Migrant Offshore Aid Station. (Representative Image) Photograph: (AFP)
Egyptian officials said that the four are accused of human trafficking and involuntary manslaughter
Egyptian prosecutors on Thursday remanded four men in custody over suspicion of human trafficking following Wednesday’s incident of a migrant boat capsizing.
Judicial and security officials informed that dozens are feared to have drowned in the incident.
The suspects are accused of human trafficking and involuntary manslaughter, officials said.
So far, 42 bodies have been recovered from the sea off the Egyptian coast while 163 people were saved.
The European Union’s border agency Frontex had a few months ago warned that the growing number of Europe-bound migrants had been turning to Egypt before setting on their sea voyage.
Traffickers have been known to often use vessels that are in a poor condition and overload them for the fares.
(WION with inputs from agencies)