Danger of attack in Germany remains high: Interior ministry
Plate said that the danger of attack has been high for a long time and remains high. In photo: Tobias Plate holds a press conference at the Federal Press Office in Berlin, Germany on April 4, 2016.
The danger of attacks in Germany remains high, an interior ministry spokesman said today after a spate of four attacks over the last week that have left 10 people dead and 34 injured.
"The danger of attack has been high for a long time and remains high," interior ministry spokesman Tobias Plate told a regular government news conference.
Germany's federal criminal police have 410 leads on possible terrorists among refugees there, a local newspaper reported today. The Neue Osnabruecker Zeitung newspaper said so, compared with 369 leads in mid-May since the beginning of the migrant crisis last year.
Investigations have been launched in 60 cases, the newspaper said. It cited federal BKA police as saying they did not currently have any concrete indications of attack plans.
"In view of continuing migration to Germany, we must assume that there could be active and former members, supporters and sympathisers of terrorist organisations or Islamist-motivated war criminals among the refugees," the newspaper quoted federal police as saying.