CNN accepts Brazile's resignation amid renewed WikiLeaks controversy
CNN announced her departure after a subsequent leaked email showed she said she was privy to 'questions in advance' and offered to 'send a few more'. Photograph: (Getty)
News network CNN accepted interim Democratic Committee chairman Donna Brazile's resignation after leaked emails showed that she offered Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton's campaign information about presidential debate questions.
A hacked email published by WikiLeaks earlier in October suggested that she may have tipped off Clinton's advisers about a March CNN town-hall debate question about the death penalty, Reuters said.
The news network announced the political commentator's departure after a subsequent leaked email showed Brazile said she had access to "questions in advance" and offered to "send a few more". CNN reported that Bazile offered her resignation on October 14.
CNN said in a statement that it was "completely uncomfortable with what we have learned about her interactions with the Clinton campaign while she was a CNN contributor."
Brazile had denied accusations that she passed on information about debate questions saying that "as a longtime political activist" she had shared her thoughts "with each and every campaign, and any suggestions that indicate otherwise are simply untrue," CNN reported.
“CNN never gave Brazile access to any questions, prep material, attendee list, background information or meetings in advance of a town hall or debate,” said CNN spokeswoman Lauren Pratapas in an email to The New York Post.
The Clinton campaign refused to comment "on the authenticity of any individual emails that have been hacked by the Russian government".
Brazile's contract with CNN was suspended after she was appointed interim chairman in July. She posted several tweets after the news broke.
Thank you @CNN. Honored to be a Democratic Strategist and commentator on the network. Godspeed to all my former colleagues.— Donna Brazile (@donnabrazile) October 31, 2016
FBI director James Comey announced on Friday that the agency was reopening the probe into Clinton's use of a private email server while she was secretary of state after the discovery of new emails.
(With inputs from Reuters)