Late on Tuesday, regional prefect Fabienne Buccio said it was difficult to prevent the fires. 'Some migrants follow traditions - we asked them not to do it - but they set ablaze their tents and their shelters when they leave,' she said. Photograph: (Reuters)
The operation will continue today to remove the empty shelters and to avoid them being set fire to again, a prefecture spokesman said
The 'Jungle' migrant camp near Calais saw another day of a government operation clearing the area on Wednesday following tent and shelter-burning and some gas-bottle explosions, Reuters reported.
One person had been slightly injured by one of the explosions and had been taken to the hospital, a Calais prefecture official told France Info radio on Wednesday.
"Some migrants follow traditions - we asked them not to do it - but they set ablaze their tents and their shelters when they leave," Reuters reported the perfecture spokesperson as saying.
Migrants have over the past few years settled at Calais, the main port entry to Britain from France, in the hope of finding new lives across the sea.
They have continued to come despite the high fences.
Over 6,000 people have been reported at the squalid and insanitary camp. More than 4,000 of them have been sent out to reception centres across France since Monday.
(WION with inputs from Reuters)