Skip to main content

Calais: Aid groups raise concerns over children with no shelter at 'jungle' camp

About 1,200 migrant children remained at the site, where fires blazed on Wednesday, as they awaited processing, CNN reported. Photograph: (AFP)

WION Calais, France Oct 27, 2016, 12.35 PM (IST)

As French authorities declared the “Jungle” camp in Calais as closed, aid groups raised serious concerns over the plight of unaccompanied children left without shelter overnight at the migrant camp, CNN reported.

The interior ministry said on Wednesday that nearly 5,600 migrants had been taken into shelters around France or accepted into Britain, out of the 6,400 estimated by authorities to have been living in the camp up until this week, news agency AFP reported.

But scores of migrants were left behind, some of whom slept in the biting cold, huddled together in sleeping bags.

About 1,200 migrant children remained at the site, where fires blazed on Wednesday, as they awaited processing, CNN reported.

"This is the end of the 'Jungle'," Calais regional prefect Fabienne Buccio said. "Mission accomplished."

Muhammad, a 16-year-old Egyptian migrant, told CNN he had slept rough because he was not registered by the authorities, a process that would have allowed him to sleep inside shipping containers at the site.

He said he had slept on the ground just in front of the containers, with some 20 to 30 other minors, CNN reported.

Migrants fleeing poverty and war in West Asia, Asia and Africa had gathered in Calais hoping to cross the short stretch of sea to Britain by leaping on trucks and trains.

(WION)

Show Comments
  • delete