Younes Abouyaaqoub, one of the suspects of the Barcelona has been killed, according to Spanish police. Photograph: (AFP)
Spanish police had said earlier that an 'operation' was underway near Barcelona.
Spanish police today confirmed the man killed in the operation near Barcelona was the van driver who had mowed down crowds in the Las Ramblas boulevard in Barcelona.
Spanish police have killed a man who could be Younes Abouyaaqoub, a source close to the probe had earlier told AFP.
"They have shot dead a suspect who could be the perpetrator of the attack," the source, who declined to be named had told AFP.
Spanish police had said that an 'operation' was underway near Barcelona.
The police, however, did not immediately give the man's identity, saying only that he had appeared to be wearing an explosive belt in the "incident" in Subirats, a town near Barcelona, Reuters reported. The police said only that a bomb squad was using a robot to approach the man's body.
"The suspect wore what appeared to be an explosive belt. He has been shot down," police said in a tweet.
Spanish police had earlier said on Monday that they have identified the driver of the van that mowed down pedestrians on the busy Las Ramblas in Barcelona.
Catalonia's regional interior minister Joaquim Forn told local radio that "everything suggests the van driver is Younes Abouyaaqoub".