At least 141 killed in week of renewed strikes in east Aleppo, 16 in west
Syrian volunteers, known as the White Helmets, evacuate a victim from the rubble of a building following airstrikes in Aleppo on November 20. Photograph: (AFP)
At least 141 civilians, including 18 children, were killed in a week of renewed bombardment on the rebel-held eastern Aleppo, Reuters reported based on a report by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights on Tuesday.
The Observatory documented 16 civilian deaths, including 10 children, and many injuries owing to rebel shelling of government-held west Aleppo.
The war monitor said it had documented hundreds of injuries as a result of Russian and Syrian air strikes and shelling by government forces and its allies on the eastern half of the city.
The assault began last Tuesday after a week-long pause in air strikes and shelling even as air strikes continued in the surrounding countryside.
The Birtain-based monitor said that there were another 87 deaths of rebel fighters and people of unknown identity in the eastern sector.
Air strikes and shelling of east Aleppo last week damaged all the main hospitals in the city's east, local health authority and international humanitarian agencies told Reuters.
(WION with inputs from Reuters)