20 to 50 people had been injured Photograph: (Getty)
Earlier reports suggested up to 50 were hurt in the Viernheim 'shooting', however, later officials said 25 were affected by tear gas
A gunman, who police shot dead on Thursday after he took hostages at a German cinema, appeared to have been a "disturbed man", the interior minister of the state of Hesse said. He also said none of the patrons was injured.
"We have no information that anyone was injured," Hesse interior minister Peter Beuth told the state parliament, after confirming that the lone gunman was killed in a struggle with police in the western town of Viernheim.
Initial reports suggested that up to 50 were hurt in the firing, however, Bild daily had reported the police as saying that about 25 were exposed to tear gas.
The gunman had a rifle or "long gun" and special forces intervened and shot him, Beuth said.
A police spokeswoman also confirmed the gunman had been shot and said nobody was injured.
AFP cited Beuth as telling Hesse parliament that no patrons of the German cinema complex stormed by the armed man were hurt and all have been released.