Syrian and Russian forces renewed their campaign after the collapse of a truce brokered by Russia and the US last month. Photograph: (AFP)
Despite warnings of further sanctions Syria, backed by Russia, has failed to agree to a lasting ceasefire in the war-torn country
As the Russian and Syrian onslaught continued in the rebel-held eastern Aleppo on Monday air strikes flattened residential buildings in the area killing dozens of civilians.
Emergency service workers said fourteen members of the same family were killed in the strikes in Marjeh, taking the number of killed in the last 24 hours of bombardment over 40.
Among them were two six-week old babies and six other children under the age of eight or below. White Helmets rescuers were working to pull out dozens still trapped under rubble in Qaterji.
Aleppo has been ravaged by bombing raids and clashes as Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's forces intensified the fight to capture opposition-held parts of the city.
The renewed campaign has killed hundreds of people since it started last month after the collapse of a truce brokered by Russia and the United States. Syrian and Russian forces have dismissed claims by human rights activists and warnings of international sanctions, saying they only target militants.
Assad, supporters face further sanctions
Britain and the United States said on Sunday they were considering imposing additional sanctions on Assad and his supporters for their actions in Syria's war.
British foreign secretary Boris Johnson and US secretary of state John Kerry briefed allies in London on a new diplomatic initiative on Syria.
"There's a lot of measures we're proposing to do with extra sanctions on the Syrian regime and their supporters, measures to bring those responsible for war crimes to the International Criminal Court," Johnson told reporters.
He said it was "highly dubious" that Syrian government forces backed by Russia were capable of retaking the city of Aleppo or winning the war, and called on Russia and Iran to show leadership by agreeing to a ceasefire.
Despite several rounds of negotiations, Russia said that the Syrian peace talks were not a complete failure, and could continue in the "Lausanne format".
US Secretary of State John Kerry hosted Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and seven foreign ministers from the region - from Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Qatar, Jordan and Egypt - in Lausanne on Saturday.
Kerry said the Lausanne meeting produced some new ideas on reviving a Syrian truce but said high-level contacts to flesh them out would continue Monday.
(WION with inputs from agencies)