Three militants killed after attack on Indian Army camp in Kashmir

Gunfire at the Handwara army camp lasted for at least 20 minutes, Indian media reports suggested. Photograph:( AFP )

Srinagar Oct 06, 2016, 02.13 AM (IST)

Three militants were killed after they attacked an Indian Army camp in Kupwara district in India's northern state of Jammu and Kashmir on Thursday.

The attackers engaged in intense gunbattles with Indian soldiers on two separate occasions before they were killed.

The first firefight started around 5 in the morning and lasted 30 minutes. The fighting then resumed at 6.30 am and continued for 90 minutes.

Indian authorities said the attackers had worn Indian army fatigues to help them bluff their way into the camp.


The army recovered three AK47s, 17 magazines and 12 grenades. The gunmen were also carrying dry fruits and medicines, Indian Army commanding officer Colonel Rajiv Saha said while briefing the media.


ANI reported that suspected militants made three other attempts — two in the Nowgam sector and one in Rampur — overnight to cross into Kashmir from across the Line of Control dividing India and Pakistan. 

"Troops were on alert and fired at the infiltrators, they fled back to Pakistan. A search has been launched," an unnamed army officer told Reuters.


Indian home minister Rajnath Singh has called for a high-level meeting which is being attended by intelligence and defence officials. 

The attack comes four days after another regiment came under attack in Baramulla, Kashmir, where two gunmen and an Indian Army soldier were gunned down during a three-hour gunfight.

On September 18, four heavily- armed men launched a deadly attack on Indian Army headquarters in Uri town of Kashmir, killing 18 soldiers.

India then retaliated to the attack they believe was done with the help of Pakistan by conducting surgical strikes on militants camped on the other side of the border on Wednesday night (September 28). Islamabad has since dismissed India's claims of conducting the midnight operation.