Pakistan mosque attack: Death toll rises to 36

The site of a recent blast in Quetta, Pakistan. Photograph:( Reuters )

WION Peshawar, Pakistan Sep 16, 2016, 12.34 PM (IST)

Death toll from Friday's suicide bomb attack on a mosque in northwest tribal Pakistan has gone up to 36, including eight children, officials told AFP on Sunday.

"We have now compiled a list of victims of the blast which includes 36 dead and 27 injured. At least eight children below the age of 10 are among the dead," Naveed Akbar, deputy chief of the Mohmand tribal district administration, told AFP.

"Many children were hit in the blast because they were praying in the last rows in the mosque where the bomber struck," Akbar said.

The bombing, claimed by Taliban, took place in Butmana village, a tribal area of Mohmand district bordering Afghanistan.

"The Friday prayer was in progress at the mosque when a suicide bomber blew himself up killing at least 16 worshippers and wounding 35 others," a senior tribal administration official told AFP.

"The area is remote and so far I have received only this information from our sources via wireless," he said.

Another local government official confirmed the information from the Taliban-hit region.

No one has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.

Taliban militants had stormed a school in Peshawar in December 2014, killing more than 150 people, mostly children.

The army in June 2014 launched an operation to wipe out militant bases in the northwestern tribal areas. Taliban-led insurgency has cost Pakistan thousands of civilian lives since 2004.

(WION with inputs from AFP)

  • delete