As Indian Army claimed it had conducted surgical strikes in Pakistan-administered Kashmir on Wednesday, Pakistan said on Thursday it has captured one Indian soldier, according to Pakistan media reports.
The Indian soldier was trying to enter into the Pakistan territory, Pakistan's Ambassador to the United Nations Dr Maleeha Lodhi in a statement to a Doha-based broadcaster Al Jazeera.
Pakistan daily Dawn quoted security sources and reported that 22-year-old Chandu Babulal Chohan was captured by Pakistan forces, adding that eight Indian soldiers were also killed.
The Indian Army, however, termed the claim as “completely false and baseless”, according to the Indian news agency IANS.
According to the Indian news agency, the Indian defence ministry in an army release, said, "Pakistan had been informed on the hotline by the Director General Military Operations Lt Gen Ranbir Singh about the soldier crossing over the Line of Control".
"One soldier from 37 RR with weapon has inadvertently crossed over to the other side of the Line of Control. Pakistan has been informed by the DGMO on the hotline. Such inadvertent crossing by Army and civilians are not unusual on either side. They are returned through existing mechanisms," the release said, according to multiple reports.
Chohan was caught with weapons at 1330 local time on Thursday, two officials in the Chahamb sector of Pakistan said.
Rubbishing India's claim of carrying a “surgical strike” on five launchpads across the line of control dividing India and Pakistan, Lodhi said that India is trying to “divert global attention from the war crimes it is committing in occupied Kashmir where more than 100 people have been killed in cold blood by Indian forces”.
“What we saw on Thursday was cross-border shelling, by mortar fire as well as small arms fire. We have captured one Indian soldier who was trying to cross while two Pakistani soldiers were martyred in cross-border shelling. But there was no surgical strike inside territory controlled by Pakistan," he said.
Shortly after the exchange of fire between Pakistani and Indian Line of Control troops which began on Wednesday night, the director general of military operations Lt Gen. Ranbir Singh claimed that surgical strikes were carried out by the India army along the LoC.
"The Indian army conducted surgical strikes last night at these launchpads. Significant casualties have been caused to these terrorists and those who are trying to support them... The operations aimed at neutralising the terrorists have since ceased."
The surgical strike was Indian Army's first direct response to September 18 Uri atack in Kashmir that killed at least 19 Indian soldiers, according to Indian media.
Pakistan, however, had denied Indian claims of conducting a surgical strike.