National wrestler Vishal Kumar dies after being electrocuted at waterlogged stadium
Media reports said the stadium had been waterlogged since the beginning of monsoon. Photograph: (Twitter)
Vishal Kumar Verma, a national-level wrestler, died on Tuesday after he was electrocuted at a water-logged stadium in Ranchi.
Vishal was electrocuted when he was pumping out water that had collected near the state wrestling body office.
The 25-year-old was rushed to a nearby hospital from the Jaipal Singh Stadium where he was declared dead, ANI reports.
National level wrestler Vishal Verma dies after electrocution while trying to pump out water from waterlogged stadium in Jharkhand's Ranchi pic.twitter.com/zruLXUJ9EN— ANI (@ANI) August 10, 2017
Media reports said the stadium had been waterlogged since the beginning of monsoon. The stadium was built in 1978.
The wrestling association in Jharkhand has announced a compensation of Rs 1 lakh for Vishal's family. The association will also give Rs 10,000 every month to them as he was the sole breadwinner in his family of six.