Kashmir chief minister meets Indian PM Modi, accuses Pak of fuelling tension

Kashmir is in the midst of its worst unrest in six years; close to 70 protesters have been killed over the last 7 weeks and hundreds have been left blind by pellet gun fire. In photo: Kashmir CM Mehbooba Mufti. Photograph:( Others )

WION Srinagar Aug 27, 2016, 04.19 AM (IST)
As the unrest in the Kashmir valley enters its 50th day, chief minister Mehbooba Mufti met Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi today and discussed the security situation in the state. 

Following a discussion at 7 Race Course Road, the official residence of the Prime Minister in the capital New Delhi, she accused Pakistan of openly trying to provoke and fuel tensions in the Valley. 

"Pakistan has repeatedly wasted chances to talk and resolve issues. It is time for Pakistan to respond if it wants peace in Kashmir," she said, lashing out at the neighbouring country. 
Defending the long spell of curfew in the region, the Jammu and Kashmir chief minister called for talks between interlocutors and all stakeholders on the Kashmir issue. 

Meanwhile, Modi expressed concern over the situation in the Valley. 

The meeting comes two days after Indian home minister Rajnath Singh visited the Valley to take stock of the situation. Singh also reiterated the need to substitute the controversial pellet guns that have left hundreds blind during the ongoing unrest. 

Kashmir in midst of worst unrest in six years 

Embroiled in violence following the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani on July 8, Kashmir is in the midst of its worst unrest in six years. 

Wani represented a new generation of fighter in a region where alienation runs deep even though attacks have fallen in recent years.

About 70 people have been killed and 6,000 injured in month-and-a-half of clashes, many of them wounded by shotgun rounds fired by security forces enforcing a curfew across the Muslim-majority region.

A police constable was shot dead by terrorists in Pulwama district of in the wee hours today. The police constable, Khurshid Ahmed, was killed outside his house in Koil village at around 3:00 a.m. 

As per reports, he was leaving his home for duties when the militants shot him from close range.  However, the number of militants has still not been ascertained.

A youth also died in Pulwama district during protests on Friday, according to media reports, when security forces opened firing during protests. 

Normal life remains crippled across Kashmir and roads largely remain deserted amid restrictions. Indian Army and paramilitary personnel have been patrolling the streets of summer capital Srinagar while barricades and concertina wires have been erected in sensitive areas.

(WION with inputs from agencies)