Skip to main content

JeM planning revenge attack on Parliament: Indian intelligence agencies

The report also said that the chatter picked by the agencies suggested that the operatives had been told to attack the Delhi Secretariat, the Akshardham and the Lotus temple if they failed to carry out the suicide attack on parliament. Photograph: (AFP)

DNA New Delhi, Delhi, India Oct 10, 2016, 05.07 AM (IST)

To take revenge against the surgical strikes conducted by the Indian Army on the terror launch pads across the Line of Control (LoC), Indian intelligence agencies have reportedly been tipped off about Pakistan-based terror outfit Jaish-e-Muhammed (JeM) planning an attack on the Indian Parliament.

According to the Time of India, JeM chief Maulana Masood Azhar is thinking about attacking the Indian Parliament, again. The Times of India reports that the intelligence agency and the Jammu and Kashmir Crime Investigation Department (CID) had been tipped off about Jaish planning a "spectacular attack".

The rumour of a planned attack was also published by NewsX, who also cited sources in Indian intelligence. 

The report also said that the chatter picked by the agencies suggested that the operatives had been told to attack the Delhi Secretariat, the Akshardham and the Lotus temple if they failed to carry out the suicide attack on parliament.

In 2001, Afzal Guru had carried out an attack on the parliament. He was hanged to death on February 9, 2013, following his conviction.

The Interpol has already issued a fresh Red Corner notice against Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) chief Maulana Masood Azhar, and his brother Abdul Rauf, for their alleged involvement in the attack on the Indian Air Force Base.

Meanwhile, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) is awaiting a response from Pakistan on letters rogatory seeking information and interrogation of Jaish-e- Masood Azhar and his brother Abdul Rauf in connection with the Pathankot air base strike.

Last week, civil airports in western states and important ones like those in Delhi, Hyderabad, and Bengaluru were put on a high alert as part of the heightened security arrangements following cross-LoC attacks on jihadist launch pads by the Indian army.

Seven of these terror launch pads across the LoC were targeted by the Indian Army on the night of September 28, in a nearly five-hour-long operation during which heli-borne and ground forces were deployed.

The announcement of the strikes came 11 days after the attack by Pakistan-based terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad on an Indian army camp in Uri in Kashmir, after which Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi had said the attackers will not go "unpunished" and that they will not be forgiven.

(WION, this report first appeared in DNA)

Show Comments
  • delete