The fire fighters rescued 11 people who were trapped on the floor. Eight fire engines, water tankers, and police personnel have rushed to the spot. Photograph: (ANI)
The flat that caught fire belongs to a senior executive of one of India's largest electrical equipment manufacturing company
At least two people are dead and 11 injured after a fire broke out in a high-rise building in India's western city of Mumbai on Tuesday morning.
The two people were immediately taken to the hospital but were declared dead on arrival.
The fire took place on the 20th floor of Maker Tower at Cuffe Parade in South Mumbai. The flat belongs to prominent businessman Shekhar Bajaj, who is the managing director of Bajaj Electricals, ANI reported.
Chief fire officer P.S Rahangdale said "We have rescued around 11 people, while the fire stretched to the servant quarter and two of them have been brutally scorched. The situation is under control now and are investigating the reason for fire," ANI reported.
In the Bajaj family flat, some family members & domestic help were stuck. All have been rescued without injury: Mumbai Fire Brigade pic.twitter.com/7jH7nk7yHo— ANI (@ANI_news) October 18, 2016
Eight fire engines, water tankers, and police personnel were rushed to the spot to douse the flames.
The fire had spread from the 20th floor to the 21st floor, PTI quoted fire officials saying.
Noted columnist Shobha De, a resident of the building, said "The fire personnel did a fantastic job. They handled it very efficiently and contained it quickly... It could have been much much worse.
"Two lives were lost ...This is a great wake-up call for everybody. Anybody who lives in a high-rise in Mumbai needs to be aware of hazards," she added.
(WION with inputs from agencies)