Delhiite consumes liquid nitrogen cocktail, docs remove 'half his stomach'

Liquid nitrogen is used at bars because it can quickly chill glasses and freeze ingredients as it evaporates. Photograph:( Facebook )

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Jul 05, 2017, 02.51 AM (IST)

A 30-year-old man from Delhi had to be rushed to a hospital and had “nearly half his stomach” removed after he gulped down a drink laced with liquid nitrogen, media reports said.
 
The businessman was partying at a pub in Gurgaon with his friends where they ordered the new cocktail. Not knowing that the drink was supposed to be consumed only after the smoke evaporated, the man quickly downed in.
 
Soon after, he started feeling uncomfortable. He, however, had another drink after that and within seconds his stomach started swelling.
 
“When I gulped down the drink, I started feeling very uncomfortable, like how you feel when there is an acid reflux. The bartender passed me another drink and I had it, not thinking too much about the discomfort. However, within seconds, my stomach started swelling and I was in unbearable pain. Breathing was also difficult,” the man, requesting anonymity, told the Hindustan Times.
 
Doctors at the Columbia Asia Hospital, Gurgaon said the man’s abdomen “looked like an open book”.
 
Dr Amit Deepta Goswami, who attended to the man, said when he arrived at the hospital he was restless and drowsy, and that his abdomen was abnormally swollen.
 
Doctors also said that his lactic acid level was extremely high due to deprivation of oxygen in the body. He had to be immediately put on a ventilator, doctors said.
 
A CT scan showed that there was free air in the abdominal cavity due to perforation of either stomach or intestines.
 
"Perforated abdomen is fairly common. But it is usually 0.5 mm to 1 mm. But in this case, the abdomen looked like an open book," Dr Goswami told the Times Of India.
 
After his surgery, the man had to be kept on a ventilator for three more days and was later discharged from the hospital.
 
The incident reportedly took place on April 13.
 
"Now, it is two months since the surgery and he is doing absolutely fine," Dr Goswami said.
 
Liquid nitrogen is used at bars because it can quickly chill glasses and freeze ingredients as it evaporates.
 
But doctors warn that consuming liquid nitrogen “can cause havoc in a person’s system”.