Chandrashekhar, main man behind Saharanpur riots arrested from Himachal (Representative Image) Photograph: (Reuters)
The Indian government asked the Yogi Adityanath-led Uttar Pradesh state government for a report on the continuing caste violence in Saharanpur that has left two dead and several injured in its wake.
The Indian interior ministry has asked the north Indian state, its most populous, to provide details of the incidents which started last month, and the steps taken to restore peace in the western Uttar Pradesh district, official sources said.
Clashes broke out again on May 23, killing one, and injuring four.
On May 5, one was killed and at least 15 were injured, including a police officer, as members of two caste groups clashed over loud music being played during a procession.
The state government yesterday suspended the district magistrate and senior superintendent of police because of the continuing violence since April. The divisional commissioner and the deputy inspector general were transferred out.
Internet and mobile messaging services were suspended to prevent mischievous rumours from being spread.
The Uttar Pradesh government had requested extra help. In its initial report to the interior ministry, the state government said that apart from two deaths, 40 cases of injury were also recorded.
"Four companies (about 400 personnel) of the Rapid Action Force have been sent to Saharanpur to help the state government maintain law and order," interior ministry spokesperson Ashok Prasad told reporters.
The request for the anti-riot force, RAF, and the preliminary report came after interior ministry asked the state government to send details of the incidents which had taken place in western Uttar Pradesh.
Prasad said three first information reports were registered and 24 arrested after the violence on May 23.
(WION with agency input)