Twenty-five of them were active in Kanger Valley under Darbha division of southBastar, which has witnessed several deadly Naxal attacks in the past, while the remaining eight were working in Barsoor area. Photograph: (Twitter)
Two Naxalites were arrested by the Bijapur Police. Out of the 33, twenty-nine are males and 4 females
In two major developments from Maoist-hotbed Bastar, thirty-three Naxals surrendered before the Jagdalpur Police, whereas two Naxalites were nabbed by the Bijapur Police.
Chhattisgarh: 33 Naxals including 29 males and 4 females surrendered before IG Bastar, earlier today pic.twitter.com/x7VmorOlWi— ANI (@ANI_news) March 31, 2017
Out of the thirty-three Naxalites who surrendered before the Inspector-General (IG) and Superintendent of Police (SP), twenty-nine are males and 4 females.
Sundarraj, IG Bastar while expressing happiness over the surrender of the Naxals, said that the people understand the real face of the Naxals now.
The district administration will also help the captured Naxals in leading a normal life by providing them with basic essentials.
"Influenced by the administrations' surrender policy, 33 people have surrendered here...They have been given immediate help in the form of monetary award of Rs. 10,000 each. They will also be trained for 45 days," Sundarraj told ANI.
"We welcome the ones leaving the network and joining the normal stream of life. The real face of the Naxals is coming in front of the people. We will also try to encourage others to surrender with the help of the ones who have surrendered today," he added.
Having their centre in Darbha and Mardoom regions, these Naxalites were working under Commander Vilaash.
The surrendered Naxalites also include the three on whom prize money of Rs. 3 lakh had been announced.
In the other update, the two Naxalites arrested in Bijapur were already booked in cases of murder and attempt to murder.
They were arrested from the jungles of Chareli.