Skip to main content

Contempt proceedings against Vijay Mallya to proceed only in his presence: Supreme Court

The apex court had found him guilty of contempt in May for transferring $40 million to his children in violation of the court's directive. Photograph: (Zee News Network)

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Jul 14, 2017, 03.33 PM (IST)

The Supreme Court today asked the government to produce fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya before it without which the contempt case against him cannot move further.

Attorney General K K Venugopal, in his submission, said that the efforts to bring back Mallya are on. 

The bench comprising Justice A K Goel and U U Lalit, while taking note of the submission, asked the government to produce him before the court.

The apex court had found him guilty of contempt in May for transferring $40 million to his children in violation of the court's order, according to a PTI report.

The top court was going to announce the quantum of the sentence today. He had been asked to present himself before the court to argue the quantum of sentence.

A consortium of banks led by India's largest lender State Bank of India, in a plea before the top court, had said that the businessman transferred $40 million received from Diageo to his children in violation of various court orders.  

India has requested the United Kingdom for the early extradition of Vijay Mallya who has been accused of defaulting on a loan of 9,000 crore rupees by a consortium of banks.     

 

Show Comments
  • delete