Clashes in Kashmir claim another life, death toll mounts to 39

The police official said curfew remained in force in all 10 districts of the Valley as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order. Photograph:( Reuters )

PTI Srinagar Jul 16, 2016, 01.00 PM (IST)
One person was today killed amid clashes between security personnel and protesters in Kashmir Valley in India. 

Defying curfew, a mob attacked a police post at Hatmulla in north Kashmir's Kupwara district this afternoon triggering retaliation from security personnel. Apart from one person killed, two were also injured during the protest. 

At least 39 persons have died and over 3,100 have been left injured in the violence since last week following the death of Hizbul Mujahideen millitant commander Burhan Wani. With unrest refusying to die down, 3,140 persons including 1,500 security personnel have been injured so far in the past eight days. 

Minor protests were reported from some parts of the Valley but the miscreants were chased away by security personnel who resorted to baton charge, the official said.

"The situation across Kashmir Valley today remained relatively peaceful. No major incident was reported from anywhere in the Valley," he said.

Mobile services remain suspended, clampdown on media offices 

Meanwhile, authorities prevented newspapers from hitting the stands today as some media houses claimed that police raided their printing presses last night and seized the material while cable TV services were also affected in most parts of the Valley.

The police official said curfew remained in force in all 10 districts of the Valley as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order.

He said the decision to continue the curfew was taken in view of large number of stone-pelting incidents across the Valley yesterday.

Two persons were killed and 23 others, including 9 securitymen, injured in the violence yesterday as mobs indulged in stone-pelting after defying curfew in many parts, while a police station was attacked with a grenade and firing by suspected militants from amidst the crowd of protesters.

Police and paramilitary personnel have been deployed in strength across the Valley for strict implementation of the prohibitory orders, the official said.

Mobile telephone services in the Valley also remained suspended to prevent any rumour-mongering. "Only postpaid connections of BSNL are working," the official said.

All telephone services including landlines were not functioning in Kupwara district today. Mobile Internet services continued to remain suspended for the seventh day today while trains are also off the tracks in the Valley.

Greater Kashmir, the leading English daily published from the Valley, alleged that police arrested Printing Press foreman Biju Chaudary and two other employees.

"The policemen seized the plates of Greater Kashmir and more than 50,000 printed copies of Kashmir Uzma and closed down the GKC printing press," the paper claimed.