Skip to main content

India should respect border treaties, withdraw troops immediately: China

A flag meeting was held between senior army officers of both sides on June 20, but tension continues. (Representative image) Photograph: (Zee News Network)

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Jun 26, 2017, 05.22 PM (IST)

China has accused Indian border guards of crossing into its territory from Sikkim, state news agency Xinhua reported on Tuesday.

A scuffle had broken out between the Indian Army and Chinese troops in the Doka La region in Sikkim on Monday.

Geng Shuang, China's foreign ministry spokesman said Indian guards "obstructed normal activities" on the border and called on India to withdraw immediately, Reuters quoted Xinhua news agency as saying.

He urged India to respect China's territorial integrity and the border treaties signed by the two countries, and said China had already suspended official pilgrimages at the Nathu La Pass, which lies on the frontier between Sikkim and Tibet. 
 
Chinese troops had entered into Indian territory and damaged two Indian Army bunkers on the Indian side of the border, PTI reported.  Indian and Chinese troops have been engaged in a low-intensity firefight for the past ten days.
 
According to reports, the Indian Army had to struggle to stop the PLA troops from advancing further into Indian territory and had to form a human wall to stop the Chinese Army.
 
A flag meeting was held between senior army officers of both sides on June 20, but tension continues.
 
It was then that the Chinese side conveyed to their Indian counterparts that Indian pilgrims, who were on their way to Kailash Mansarovar, would not be allowed to cross into Tibet through the Nathu-la Pass, PTI cited sources as saying. 
 
It is not the first time that such a transgression has happened at Doka La, a place at the Sikkim-Bhutan-Tibet tri-junction.
 
The Chinese forces had in November 2008 destroyed some makeshift Indian army bunkers at the same place.

Show Comments
  • delete