Chennai Silks building on fire, two floors collapse
As many as 21 fire tenders besides three skylift trucks were involved in the operations. Photograph: (Twitter)
The 4th to 7th floor of Chennai Silks Building collapsed Thursday after firefighters fought hard to douse the fire for more than 24 hours.
A huge fire gutted a leading textile showroom in Chennai Wednesday.
According to reports, the blaze was first noticed at around 4 am, possibly due to a shot circuit, and several fire tenders were immediately rushed to the spot.
However, the blaze continued to rage 13 hours after it broke out.
Nobody was injured and 12 persons were rescued from the seven-storied building, which houses Chennai Silks, a leading textile showroom on the busy Usman Road.
Accessing the building and spraying water inside proved challenging in the centrally air-conditioned showroom.
"We had to demolish a portion of the front exterior of the building so that water could be let deep inside," a Fire officer said.
Firefighters battled hard to get into the showroom from the ground floor even as the sound of things coming crashing down heavily from within was quite audible from outside.
Firemen surrounded the building and sprayed water from high-pressure valves to try and douse the blaze.
Even after more than 10 hours of fire fighting efforts, flames were still seen smouldering inside parts of the building on several floors.
The mishap is expected to cause loss worth crores due to the gutting of commercial stock and the building.
CHENNAI SILKS Is Still burning! Huge Fire Accident pic.twitter.com/LP1jnHQS1M— Cutout Works (@CutoutWorks) May 31, 2017