Bangladesh: Two terrorists killed as anti-terror operation in Sylhet continues for fourth day
Bangladesh security forces carried on Operation Twilight for the third consecutive day Photograph: (WION)
Two terrorists have been killed in the counter-terror operation that is still on at Sylhet in Bangladesh as terrorists have been holed up for four days.
"Terrorists are very well trained and armed. There maybe one or more terrorists still inside," said Brig Gen Fakhrul Ahsan of Bangladesh Army in a press briefing on Sunday.
Earlier, Bangladesh Army spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Rashidul Hasan said that the commando forces are maintaining caution in the conduct of the "operation twilight" as they apprehend the terrorists have planted improvised explosive devices in the five-storied building they have been staying. The casualties and damage that the IEDs can cause cannot be ascertained.
At least six persons have been killed and 44 persons were injured in suicide bomb blast on Saturday evening. The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack carried out just outside the perimeter cordoned by security forces.
The injured have been moved to the MAG Osmani Medical College and Hospital. The hospital's deputy director Debapada Roy told WION that six persons have succumbed to their injuries and 44 persons, including civilians and security personnel have been wounded from Saturday's bomb blast.
Among the wounded Lieutenant Colonel Abul Kalam Azad, head of the intelligence wing of Rapid Action Battalion is still in critical condition. He will be taken to Singapore for better treatment.
On the ground platoons of commando forces stand guard and an emergency has been imposed within the vicinity.
The armed forces evacuated 28 families comprising of 78 members from the five-storied building before launching assault operation.
Military ambulances and bomb disposal units have been kept on stand by.
On Friday suicide bomber blew up himself at a police checkpost near the Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka. The suicide blast occurred in space of a week into another suicide blast carried out at the demarcated premise for the future headquarters of the Rapid Action Battalion.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is due to visit India on April 7 when major defence and security agreements are likely to be signed. Security analysts have told WION the recent attacks including the 72-hour standoff so far in Sylhet counter terrorist operation will influence the agreements that will be signed between India and Bangladesh.