Skip to main content

Afghanistan: At least 19 killed in blast near funeral of man killed during Kabul protests

The blast happened near the funeral of a victim of Friday's clashes between protesters and Afghan police. (Representative image) Photograph: (Reuters)

WION Kabul, Afghanistan Jun 03, 2017, 12.05 PM (IST)

At least 19 people have been killed and several injured in a blast in Kabul during the funeral ceremony of a man who was killed in Friday's antigovernment protests, reported Reuters.

Saturday's blast came at a time when the city of Kabul was under a lockdown in a bid to prevent protesters from coming on the streets to prevent a repeat of Friday's bloody confrontation between antigovernment protesters and the Afghan police.

President Ashraf Ghani took to twitter to express his anguish over the explosions.

"The country is under attack," Ghani said in a message on Twitter. "We must be strong and united."

Kabul's Italian-run Emergency Hospital said 19 people had been reported killed and 16 wounded had been brought to the hospital. The interior ministry said there were six dead and 87 wounded, Reuters reported.

"There were sounds of explosions everywhere and I saw my hands and face were on fire," said Mohammad Azim, who was being treated for burns at the Emergency Hospital. "There were parts of human bodies everywhere."

Dr Abdullah Abdullah, who is the chief executive of Afghanistan, was also present at the funeral of the man who was the son of a senator. His official twitter handle said that he is safe.

"People were blown to pieces" due to the impact of the blasts, a witness told AFP.

The interior ministry said that it is unclear what caused the explosions.

"We don't know what caused the explosions. Initial reports show 15 people have been killed and wounded," interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish said on Twitter. 

(WION with inputs from agencies)

Show Comments
  • delete