Kabul police chief said that a clearance operation was ongoing inside the buildings but they did not know if the attacker/s were still alive
Afghan security forces searched the American University in Kabul in the early hours of today for suspected gunmen who might be still at large, following an attack on the compound that sent students fleeing in panic.
Militants stormed into the complex at around 6.30 pm local time (1400 GMT) yesterday after a car bomb explosion followed by gunfire. One person, reportedly a guard, was killed and at least 14 students were wounded. It was not clear whether foreigners were among those hurt.
Special forces surrounded the walled compound and made their way inside, according to a senior interior ministry official. The ministry's spokesman, Sediq Sediqqi, said late yesterday that two gunmen were hiding in the university building.
Early today, Kabul police chief Abdul Rahman Rahimi told the media that the area was quiet and that security forces were looking to flush out any remaining gunmen.
"We are inside buildings and a clearance operation is ongoing. We do not know if any attacker or attackers are still alive."
He declined to speak further, saying the light from his cell phone could make him a target for any assailants at large.
Terrified students recounted barricading themselves in classrooms or jumping from the second floor in order to escape. Most appeared to have got away.
Some even took to social media in a desperate call for help.
"Many students jumped from the second floor, some broke their legs and some hurt their head trying to escape," Abdullah Fahimi, a student who escaped. He injured his ankle making the leap. "We were in the class when we heard a loud explosion followed by gunfire. It was very close. Some students were crying, others were screaming."
Ahmad Mukhtar, who also fled, said the gunmen had got into the university buildings despite security measures including armed guards and watchtowers.
"I finished my class and was about to leave when I heard a few gunshots and a huge explosion, followed by more gunfire," he said. "I ran toward the emergency exit with other students, climbed the wall and jumped outside."
No one has taken responsibility for the university raid. It was the second time this month that the university or its staff had been targeted.
Two teachers, an American and an Australian, remain missing after being abducted at gunpoint from a road nearby on Aug. 7.
The American University of Afghanistan has about 1,700 students and advertises itself as the country's only not-for-profit, "non-partisan", co-educational university. It opened in 2006 and caters to full-time and part-time students.
The United States said it was closely monitoring the situation in Kabul following the university attack, and that forces from the US-led coalition were involved in the response in an advise and assist role.
State Department spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau said the US embassy was working to account for all of its personnel and to locate and assist any US citizens affected by the attack.
(WION with inputs from Reuters)