100 students fall sick after eating hostel meal in India's Kanpur

100 students fall sick after eating hostel meal in India's Kanpur

Students reported symptoms of food poisoning like dizziness, weakness, loss of appetite and nausea shortly after consuming the meal. (Representative Image) Photograph: (Getty)

WION Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India Sep 1, 2016, 02.39 PM (IST)
About 100 students of a private engineering college in Kanpur, a city in India's northern Uttar Pradesh state, fell ill on Wednesday, August 31, after eating at their hostel mess.

Students reported symptoms of food poisoning like dizziness, weakness, loss of appetite and nausea shortly after consuming the meal.

A team of medical experts was dispatched by the administration to help doctors cope with the rush at the hospital.
Chief medical officer of Kanpur, Anita Desai, said that all the students were stable.

"Of the 100 students, 70 have returned to their hostel after receiving treatment. Fourteen students are admitted in the Intensive Care Unit. They are in stable condition and their treatment is underway," hospital sources informed.

"Something was wrong with the food. After I ate it, my head started spinning. I was attending a lecture when I felt dizzy and then my condition deteriorated further," a student said.

The district administration has ordered a probe into the matter.

(WION with inputs from agencies)

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

While 70 students have been discharged from hospital,14 are admitted to the Intensive Care Unit but are reported to be stable

  • delete
  • 1/3