WION evening news brief, December 23, 2017

Former Bihar chief minister Lalu Prasad Yadav was on Saturday convicted by a special CBI court in the 1996 fodder scam case along with 14 others co-accused in the case. Photograph:( Zee News Network )

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Dec 23, 2017, 01.14 PM (IST)

Lalu Prasad found guilty in fodder scam case, taken into custody

Former Bihar chief minister Lalu Prasad Yadav was on Saturday convicted by a special CBI court in the 1996 fodder scam case along with 14 others co-accused in the case. Lalu Prasad Yadav was taken into custody immediately after the verdict and sent to a jail in Ranchi. Former Bihar chief minister Jagannath Mishra, who was also a co-accused, has been acquitted along with seven others. 

J&K: 3 soldiers killed in Pakistan ceasefire violation in Keri

At least three Indian soldiers, including a senior officer, were on Saturday killed in a ceasefire violation by Pakistan at the Keri (120 Infantry Brigade) Battalion area of Jammu and Kashmir. A soldier has also been injured in the firing and is undergoing treatment at a nearby hospital. 

Bus falls into river in Rajasthan, death toll rises to 32

At least 32 people have died and several injured after a bus fell into the Banas river in Rajasthan's Sawai Madhopur area, District Magistrate KC Varma said. All injured have been shifted to a nearby hospital for treatment. The incident occurred in Swai Madhopur's Dubi area.

Bhopal gang-rape: Four accused sentenced to life imprisonment

The four men accused of raping a 19-year-old woman in Bhopal in October were sentenced to life imprisonment by a fast track court on Saturday. The additional district and session judge Savita Dube reportedly gave the verdict. 

Delhi: Fire at Metro Hospital, minor injuries to patients

A fire broke out at New Delhi's Metro Hospital and Cancer Institute in Preet Vihar on Saturday afternoon but was brought under control by evening. A few patients suffered minor injuries. Around 84 patients were evacuated. A senior police official said that the fire started in an air conditioning vent and then spread to other floors.