Top court lifts ban on sale of firecrackers in Delhi, halves licenses
The Supreme Court has banned the sale of firecrackers in Delhi and NCR region on Diwali. (Representative image) Photograph: (Getty)
Modifying its 2016 order, the Supreme Court on Tuesday lifted its ban on the sale of firecrackers in Delhi but with conditions.
The top court has halved the number of licenses to be issued across Delhi and the National Capital Region (NCR) and said: "more than 50 lakh crackers should be enough".
The Supreme Court had last year suspended the licenses of all firecracker sellers in Delhi and the NCR.
Today, it lifted its suspension of the permanent licenses already granted and put these licensees on notice for Dussehra and Diwali in 2018.
The court said that those granted licenses will be permitted to possess and sell only 50% of the quantity permitted in 2017 and it will substantially reduce over the next couple of years.
It has also asked the police to ensure that a 100-meter "silent zone" is observed around hospitals, courts, educational institutions and religious places.
The Supreme Court has also prohibited the transport of fireworks into Delhi and NCR from outside the region.
"Concerned law enforcement authorities will ensure that there is no further entry of fireworks into Delhi and the NCR till further orders," the court said.
In November 2016, the top court had banned the sale of fire crackers in Delhi and NCR region after the pollution levels in the national capital shot up to alarming levels.