The CBI says it zeroed in on the accused teenager after inspecting CCTV footage, call records, questioning of staff and students and the 'suspicious' behaviour of the accused during investigations. Photograph: (PTI)
The seven-year-old student of Gurugram's Ryan International School, who was found dead with his throat slit in the school's toilet, was not sexually assaulted, the doctor who conducted the post mortem said today.
Doctor Deepak Mathur, who conducted the autopsy, said the forensic analysis of the body samples had ruled out sexual assault. He said two knife marks were found on Pradyuman Thakur's neck and that the injuries were possible with the recovered knife. The doctor added that the samples of hair and clothes had been sent for forensic analysis and the report was awaited.
Two knife marks were found on Pradyuman's neck: Dr Deepak Mathur, one of the doctors who conducted post-mortem on the seven-year-old— ANI (@ANI) September 12, 2017
The Directorate of School Education and the Haryana government have constituted a committee to frame guidelines for safety of students and teachers at schools.
The committee constituted shall propose guidelines as expeditiously as possible but not beyond two days.
The bus conductor of the school, who is the main accused in the case, was today sent to judicial custody, ANI reported earlier. He will be produced before a special court in Gurugram on September 18.
A top police official told ANI that during questioning, two children disclosed that the accused was present in the toilet before the incident.
He said that it was clear that only the conductor, Ashok Kumar was involved and no other person, adding that the act of negligence by the school was a separate issue for which "two people are being questioned."
"Questioning with the bus-conductor is complete, remand has ended. He told us whatever we needed to know.We are satisfied," said Assistant Commissioner of Police Birem Singh.
Ashok Kumar was arrested on Friday after the body of the student was found inside the toilet of the high-profile school with his throat slit.
The school's principal was suspended on Saturday (September 9) amid protests by agitated parents.
Earlier in the day, the Bombay High Court granted interim protection from arrest to the Ryan International Group Chairman and Managing Director Augustine Pinto till tomorrow over the murder of the student, Pradyuman, within the school premises.
Augustine Pinto and his wife Grace, who is also the managing director of the institution had moved the Bombay High Court for anticipatory bail today. A special investigation team has reached Mumbai to question Augustine Pinto and director Albert Pinto.
The father of the 7-year-old, however, approached the Supreme Court seeking a CBI probe, which prompted the top court to seek responses from the Centre and Haryana.
The police claimed that evidence from the scene of the crime had been tampered with and said they would bring the guilty to book.
The parents' association had opposed the anticipatory bail application.
The lawyer representing the state of Maharashtra had asked for time till tomorrow to produce a Supreme Court order for reference, the advocate representing the parents' association said.
The matter has been adjourned until tomorrow.
The bail pleas were filed after the arrest of two top officials of the school. The acting principal was also detained for questioning.
Pradyuman's father, however, approached the Supreme Court seeking a CBI probe, which prompted the top court to seek responses from the Centre and the Haryana government.
The police claimed that evidence from the scene of the crime had been tampered with.
Two officials of Haryana Police have questioned the management of Ryan International School's Kandivali branch in Mumbai over the murder.
Yesterday, the Northern Zone Head of the school chain Francis Thomas and the branch coordinator of the Bhodnsi branch -- where the murder took place -- were sent on a two-day police remand.
A Special Investigation Team (SIT) constituted to look into the murder of the seven-year-old Gurugram student had pointed out serious security lapses in the school including the lack of separate toilets for staff like drivers and conductors.
The SIT findings stated that the CCTV cameras of the school were not working properly and were not installed everywhere. The three-member team highlighted that the administration did not get their employees identification verified.The report by the investigative team also revealed that the school establishment had broken boundary walls.The report further said that there were no separate toilets for conductors and drivers and the wall behind the school remained unfinished which easily allowed anyone to enter the school premises without permission.