Skip to main content

Nothing found or seized after raids at Chidambaram's premises in Chennai, Delhi: Lawyer

Fresh summons were issued to Chidambaram, the son of senior Congress leader P Chidambaram, on Thursday, after he failed to show up for probe in the INX Media case. Photograph: (PTI)

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Jan 13, 2018, 07.01 AM (IST)

Union Minister P Chidambaram's son Karti Chidambaram's lawyer confirmed on Saturday that nothing was found or seized during the raids carried out at Chidambaram's homes in Delhi and Chennai. 

"The ED conducted a raid today. Nothing was found, nothing was seized. The raid concluded at 10.45 a.m," Karti's lawyer Arun Natrajan told media.

He also said this was not an enquiry but just a raid, and kept emphasising that nothing was found or seized.

"It was a raid conducted under the provisions of Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA)," said Arun Natrajan.

The Enforcement Directorate (ED) carried out raids at Karti Chidambaram’s premises in New Delhi and Chennai on Saturday morning over his alleged involvement in the INX Media money laundering case.

Enforcement Directorate officials also raided home of former union minister P Chidambaram's Chennai home on Saturday.

The central probe agency had registered a case against him and others in connection with the case in May last year. Karti Chidambaram has now been called for the probe by the agency on January 16.

It had registered an Enforcement Case Information Report (ECIR), the ED's equivalent of a police First Information Report (FIR), against the accused named in a CBI complaint, including Karti Chidambaram, INX Media and its owners Peter and Indrani Mukerjea.

The agency has alleged that Karti Chidambaram received money from INX Media for using his influence to manipulate a tax probe against it in a case of violation of Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) conditions to receive investment from Mauritius. 

The CBI had also carried out searches at the homes and offices of Karti Chidambaram across four cities for allegedly receiving money from the media firm owned by the Mukerjeas and scuttling a tax probe.  

The CBI has said it has also recovered vouchers of Rs 10 lakh which were allegedly paid for the services. 

The agency said FIPB approval in the Aircel-Maxis FDI case was granted in March 2006 by the then finance minister even though he was competent to accord approval on project proposals only up to Rs 600 crore and beyond that it required the approval of the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA).

"In the instant case, the approval for FDI of 800 million USD (over Rs 3,500 crore) was sought. Hence, CCEA was competent to grant approval. However, approval was not obtained from CCEA," it alleged. 

The CBI had filed the FIR against Karti Chidambaram and the Mukerjeas on charges of criminal conspiracy, cheating, receiving illegal gratification, influencing public servants and criminal misconduct. 

Former finance minister P Chidambaram, after the CBI searches on May 16, had issued a strong statement in response to the raids, saying the government was using the CBI and other agencies to target his son.

Show Comments
  • delete