Skip to main content

Nirav Modi got 1,213 fraudulent guarantees in six years: Arun Jaitley

File photo of Finance Minister Arun Jaitley. Photograph: (Reuters)

PTI New Delhi, Delhi, India Mar 13, 2018, 02.49 PM (IST)

Billionaire jeweller Nirav Modi obtained his first fraudulent guarantee from PNB's Brady House branch in Mumbai on March 10, 2011, and managed to get 1,212 more such guarantees over the next 74 months, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said today.

Companies linked to Nirav Modi obtained Letters of Undertaking or LoUs, which were used to get loans from overseas branches of Indian banks, up to five guarantees on a single day, with the help of rogue employees of the country's second-biggest state-run bank.

Mr Jaitley said the last fraudulent LoU was issued on May 23, 2017. During these six years, 53 genuine (non-fraudulent) LoUs were also issued to Nirav Modi Group - the first being on March 5, 2011, and last on November 6, 2017, he said.

The fraudulent LoUs had a validity of up to one year.

Payments due in January this year were against LoU issued in February last year, he said, listing date-wise the LoUs issued.

Companies linked to Modi and his uncle Mehul Choksi defrauded PNB to the tune of Rs. 13,600 crore. Choksi's Gitanjali Group defrauded Rs. 7,080.86 crore while the rest is attributed to companies of Modi.

Mr Jaitley said, "PNB Head Office received a report suspicious outstanding unauthorised transactions from Circle Office, Mumbai on January 23, 2018."

"Immediately an investigating team was constituted which gave its preliminary report on January 25, 2018. On January 29, 2018 (January 26 to 28 being public holidays), fraud was reported to RBI and complaint lodged with CBI Mumbai," he said.

PNB informed the department of financial services, under Mr Jaitley, on February 6.

Show Comments
  • delete