The 117-year-old building had collapsed near Mumbai's JJ Hospital on Thursday morning. Photograph: (Reuters)
The death toll in the building collapse in Mumbai rose to 34 on Friday morning as the rescue operation concluded late on Friday morning in the Bhendi Bazar area.
"No one is trapped," Mumbai fire brigade official YR Jadhav said. Earlier, rescue workers toiled throughout the night on Thursday to look for people still trapped as the death toll mounted during the evening.
The 117-year-old five-storey building had collapsed near Mumbai's JJ Hospital on Thursday morning.
At least fifteen people were injured in the building collapse including four firemen. Reports said twenty-eight people were rescued from the debris of the collapsed building situated in Mumbai's Pakmodia street.
The authorities in Mumbai had lined up ten fire tenders, seventy firemen and ambulances to look for people in the rubble.
Police suspect heavy rains that lashed the city could have weakened the building even as the mayor of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation blamed the MHADA (Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority) for the building collapse.
Last month, seventeen people had died after a four-storey building had collapsed in the eastern suburb of Mumbai.
Four firemen were reportedly injured in the rescue operations. At least twenty-eight people have been rescued from the debris of the collapsed building situated in Mumbai's Pakmodia street. (Reuters)
Nearly two dozen feared trapped after a five-storey building collapsed in Mumbai's Bhendi Bazaar area. (WION)