Dawood Ibrahim aide threatens UP Shia Board chief who sought madrassa ban

File Photo: Uttar Pradesh Shia Waqf Board chairman Waseem Rizvi. Photograph:( ANI )

WION Web Team Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India Jan 15, 2018, 03.29 AM (IST)

UP Shia Waqf Board chairman, Waseem Rizvi, on Sunday claimed that he had received a threat call on behalf of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim on his recent anti-madrasa statements. 

“I received the call last (Saturday) night in which caller took the name of Dawood and threatened to blow me up and my family for my stand on madrassa education and other issues,” Rizvi said in Lucknow. 

Rizvi had last week written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath suggesting that madrassas should be shut down as the Islamic institutions bred terrorists. 

He alleged that education imparted in these Islamic schools encouraged students to join terrorist ranks and sought that madrassas be replaced by schools affiliated to the CBSE or the ICSE which will offer students the optional subject of Islamic education. 

×

The Shia Waqf Board chairman said he had informed the police and also given the caller’s phone number. 

Following Rizvi’s complaint, the Lucknow police have lodged an FIR and initiated a probe.

(With inputs from PTI)