Skip to main content

India, China to disengage troops along Doklam: External Affairs Ministry

India and China have decided to ease tensions along the Doklam border Photograph: (Zee News Network)

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Aug 28, 2017, 06.56 AM (IST)

India and China have agreed to an "expeditious disengagement of border personnel" in Doklam, India's Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement. 

Hours after issuing the statement, the external affairs ministry said that the process of disengagement of border personnel of India and China at Dokalam "has almost been completed under verification". 

It added that India's principled position was that agreements and understandings reached on boundary issues must be scrupulously respected. 

"Peace and tranquility at the border an essential pre-requisite for further development bilateral ties," the MEA said.

Both countries will work towards easing tensions along the border at Doklam, the MEA had said in its statement.

China's foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying, however, said Indian forces have already been withdrawn and that Chinese troops would continue to patrol the Doklam region.

"Indian forces and their equipment have already been withdrawn to the India side of the border. China's personnel on the ground have already confirmed this. China will continue to exercise sovereignty rights to protect territorial sovereignty in accordance the rules of the historical boundary. As I mentioned, because the situation on the ground has changed, China will make necessary adjustments and deployments in accordance with the situation on the ground."

Expeditious disengagement of border personnel at the face-off site at Doklam has been agreed and is on-going, the MEA had said, adding that the solution was achieved through diplomatic talks.

India and China have been in touch with each other over the Doklam issue, the ministry added.

During these communications, we were able to express our views and convey our concerns and interests, the MEA said on the Doklam Disengagement Understanding.

×

The move comes ahead of PM Modi's visit to China next week to attend the BRICS summit.

India and China have been clashing over Doklam for the past several months with reports of stone-pelting by Chinese troops at Indian soldiers patrolling the border post at Doklam.

However, India has been pushing for a diplomatic solution to the standoff, last week India's home minister Rajnath Singh had said a solution to the ongoing standoff between India and China at Doklam would be found soon and hoped that Beijing would make a positive move.

Show Comments
  • delete