Skip to main content

Liverpool's Sakho courts controversy with Snapchat outburst

Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp said last week the 26-year-old player, who was banned in April for failing a drugs test, needed to prove his match fitness. Photograph: (Getty)

WION London, United Kingdom Sep 24, 2016, 01.19 PM (IST)
Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho said on Saturday that he was fit to play after his manager Juergen Klopp said last week that he needed time to get back on the field.

The 26-year-old, who was banned for failing a drug test in April, posted on Snapchat that his fans deserve to know the truth about his situation.

"I accept my situation but I can't accept the lie. The fans deserve to know the truth. Now it’s three weeks since I am fit to play games. I finish all my rehabilitation work. They don't want me to play also with second team lol! Why, I don’t know," Sakho wrote on Snapchat at 3.05am local time on Saturday.

"Still working hard like Scouse Soldier! Still not talking cos I want speak on pitch," he said. "I will speak soon for the people who support me and don’t understand the situation.

"Still happy to live in my 'Liverpool Country' with my family, hope to have chance to play soon to give my best like I try to do always!"

"(He is) still working on (his fitness)," said Klopp. "It's not about how the player feels. It's about how I feel and how close the player is. That needs time. It’s a long, long time that he didn't play, for sure." The sanction was lifted by UEFA but the centre-back has not played since April.

Sakho removed the Snapchat posts early on Saturday morning, Sky Sports reported.

It looks increasingly unlikely that the Frenchman will get that chance, The Guardian said on Saturday.

(WION with inputs from Reuters)
Show Comments
  • delete