Australian fast bowler Mitchel Starc undergoes surgery, won't take part in South Africa tour
Australia's Mitchell Starc celebrates after he dismissed Sri Lanka's Tillakaratne Dilshan during the first T20 international cricket match between Sri Lanka and Australia at the Pallekele International Cricket on September 6 Photograph: (AFP)
Australian fast bowler Mitchel Starc underwent a surgery today that required 30 stitches, following a training mishap.
The 26-year-old left-armer suffered deep lacerations after colliding with training equipment on Thursday, Cricket Australia said.
Starc will have his left shin in a brace for up to three weeks to aid his recovery and won't take part in Australia's South African tour later this month, according to media reports.
"There were no bone fractures or tendon damage to his leg and he underwent surgery to clean the wound and received approximately 30 stitches," Cricket Australia chief medical officer John Orchard said.
"He will remain in hospital for the next few days to minimise movement to his leg and will use an extension brace for the next two to three weeks until his stitches are removed.
"At this stage, barring any complications, we are hopeful he is on track to play at the start of the Australian summer."
Australia is pitted against South Africa in the first of a three-Test series, starting in Perth on November 3
Starc was Austalia's star performer in Sri Lanka last month with 24 wickets at 15.16.
(WION with inputs from AFP)